Sunday, February 27, 2011

A Change of Course

This week I bought a fresh pineapple. At $3.89 I couldn't pass it up. I was going to make yogurt today and hang for cheese tomorrow to make those brownies that I spoke about in the earlier post today. I may still do that, since work isn't on the agenda tomorrow either, just a doctor visit.

I googled "pineapple upside down cake with coconut flour, coconut oil and fresh pineapple" this afternoon and found this recipe at my year without's blog, which led me to the original recipe so I adapted them both to fit what I had on hand. Here is what I got:

Pineapple Upside Down Cake in Cast Iron

For the top:
sliced pineapple Used fresh, sliced)
4 Tbsp butter or
1/2 C. honey or sucanat ( I used ¾ cup sucanat w/ a T. of honey for the glaze)
*optional: pecans (left these out.)

For the cake:
1 C whole wheat flour (Used ½ coconut flour and ½ c. Prairie Gold Wheat Montana)
1 C white whole wheat flour (used Wheat Montana unbleached white wheat)
1 tsp baking powder (cut back to ¾ t. to account for altitude)
1 tsp baking soda (same as w/ the baking pwdr, ¾ t due to altitude.)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C butter or coconut oil (used coconut oil w/ a T of butter to emulsify and fluff)
1/2 C honey (used ¾ c sucanat w/ a T of honey to blend in)
2 eggs (increased to 4 to allow for the coconut flour’s super absorbency!)
1 C buttermilk (used ¼ c. orange juice and ¾ c kefir)
1 and a half tsp vanilla (1 t.

Directions: Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Melt the 4 Tbsp butter in a 10 inch cast iron skillet (I halved the recipe and used my smaller skillet). Once melted, add in the honey and stir until combined. Cook a couple minutes until the mixture is nice and bubbly.

Place pineapple slices in pan.

Continue to cook another couple minutes, turn the slices over, and turn off heat. (If using, place the pecans in pan after you turn off heat.)

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium mixing bowl and set aside. Next, cream together the 1/2 C butter, and the 1/2 C honey until light and fluffy. Add the eggs in one at a time and then stir in vanilla. Alternating between flour mixture and buttermilk, add them into creamed mixture, stirring just until combined.

Pour over the pineapple slices.

Bake for about 35 minutes (it took 30 in my oven with a baking stone in the bottom) or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Cool in pan for 5 minutes. (This worked out great, took the last five minutes of the timer!) Then run a knife around the edge to loosen the cake from the sides and quickly tip over onto a flat plate or cutting board.

It's cooling as I type. The house is full of a nutty/fruity/caramel scent that is divine! I am glad I have sucanat, since it does great as a substitute for honey (sadly too much fructose) for me.

I plan on whipping some cream and serving that with it for my conventional eaters. Grand daughter will relish the laurine and the medium chain saturated fatty acids in it. It's something she can have!

No comments:

Post a Comment